Your Legal Options to File a Hit and Run Claim if the Other Driver Left the Scene

Being the victim of a hit and run accident can leave you feeling cheated or violated. Perhaps the other driver got away before you could get a license plate number and now you are left wondering how you will cover the costs and losses related to the accident. The police find some hit and run drivers with help from eyewitnesses, surveillance footage, and other evidence, but others unfortunately get away with it.

On the positive side, there are several options in Florida for hit and run victims to recover compensation even if the police never locate the other driver. If you were in an accident with a driver who fled the scene, talk to a car accident lawyer at Coffey McPharlin for help getting compensation: 954-541-3194.

Here are three ways accident victims may be able to recover compensation:

Florida No-Fault Insurance

Under Florida Statute 627.736, all car insurance policies must include “no-fault” coverage known as personal injury protection (PIP). So, regardless of whether you were at fault for the accident your PIP coverage provides a minimum of $10,000 in medical and disability benefits and $5,000 in death benefits. PIP coverage can help cover the costs of personal injuries to you and your passengers that result from a hit and run accident.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

You can also recover compensation from your own insurance company if you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. UM coverage covers you if you are in an accident with a driver who does not carry insurance. It also covers you if the other driver leaves the scene of the accident.

Your UM coverage, which is optional in Florida, is usually equal to your liability coverage. So, if you carry $100,000 in bodily injury liability, your UM coverage is usually $100,000 as well. It can cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.

Filing a Personal Injury Claim 

You may also be able to file a personal injury claim under some circumstances.

  • Police locate the other driver. If the police find the other driver, you may file a claim with that driver’s liability insurance to recover compensation for your damages.
  • Another party is at fault. If a vehicle manufacturer, property owner, or other party is liable for the accident, then you may be able to file a claim against that party. For example, if a defect in your vehicle caused or contributed to the wreck, the vehicle manufacturer may be liable.

If you are able to file a liability claim, you may be eligible to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses or expenses.

Contact Coffey McPharlin for Help with a Hit and Run Claim 

To learn more about your legal options after a hit and run accident, call 954-541-3194 to speak with a car accident lawyer from Coffey McPharlin. We can help you file your insurance claim and recover fair compensation for your injuries and damages.